Friday, February 10, 2012

old dresser, new dresser

I have completed my first furnature project. I have about 5 more I want to do but one at a time. :)     I took the ugliest dresser in the world, that we got on KSL for 10 bucks- and turned it into this for about $30.
This is the before picture... ugly right. whoever had it before me had tried to paint it on top of the lacquered fnish which obviously didnt work.

So I sanded it down- I did the top all the way down to the wood and the rest, I just did is slightly to get the finish off. Then sanded the drawers and the mirror.

I used a primer first because the dresser was pretty dark- I did two coats but I probably only needed one.

Then painted it- It only took one coat





I got the super cute knobs at Hobby Lobby- 50% off! The bottom 4 drawers actually had twon holes for pulls but I wanted knobs- so I filled the holes with caulk and drilled another one so they could match.








I learned a lot- good thing Brett made me do this one first before doing my gorgeous game hutch, cupboard thing in my dining room. :) I did this project completely on my own except brett put the hinges back on .

My car is so dusty, Brett has been parked on the street for a week and he may be for a while because I am starting on the next one as soon as we haul this one back upstairs to Anavy's room.


4 comments:

Darlene said...

Very cute. I am impressed.

Cheryl said...

awesome! I have always wanted to refinish furniture. the new one looks nothing like the original. good job.

Alisha said...

That looks awesome! Way to go! Wish I had the patience for this.... because I have a lot of furniture that could use a face lift!

Debbie Smith said...

That came out so great! Way to go, Cali! I am proud of you for tackling this big project! Can't wait to see the next thing!