Sunday, July 18, 2010

News!!

Brett and I have a few changes coming about in our lives and its about time we share our news on my public blog.
First of all, I am going back to school this fall... I will be going part time and I have registered for classes, but since it is so late, I got waitlisted on the few that i really want to take. Hopefully a spot will open up in those. After talking a lot with Brett, I have decided to change my major from social work, to graphic design and photography-- so technically I am an ART major... strange. I was just think ing about it and I am passionate and creative with photos and crafts and I would want to do this job even when i have a family and i want to learn those skills anyway so why not study them in school.
In order for me to go to school, I need to quit my job. School for me is hard. It needs to be something I do full time with no other distractions. I have tried to work and go to school and that semester, I failed out of my classes. It was too hard.

Brett and I had a meeting with a social worker a few weeks ago. She came to hour home to talk to us about the foster/adoptive care coalition. We have filled out paperwork and will be attending our first class today. To get certified you need to take 8 classes- they are 4 hour classes twice a week for a month. Our last class is on Aug 4th and then they will do a home study and as soon as our house looks good then they can place children in our home. The classes teach you all about fostering children as well as how to deal with certain issues children face with abuse and abandonment. I have thought I wanted to do foster care for a really long time. The thought of helping kids that seriously need a stable and loving home has always appealed to me. I'm excited to get some experience as a mom and to help kids. We have room in out home for 2 kids of the same gender ages 0-6. If the parents of these kids loose rights, the foster family is asked if they would like to adopt the child. Children could be in homes for up to 12 months in Utah before this happens but sometimes quicker.

So that is what is new with us. Our lives are about to take a step in a new direction which is really cool. We are really grateful to have such a supportive family. Everyone is so happy for us. We are really excited about the changes that are happening in our lives.


.

3 comments:

Jocelyn said...

First of all I have to say WAY TO GO! on going back to school that is a great step. 2. being a Foster part would be awesome There are so so many children who just want to be wanted! I think no matter how long a child is in your home, if you show them unconditional love they will grow and you will be blessed. I think it will be such an amazing adventure for you both. and if it leads to adoption.... well that would be awesome! I hope your classes go well and that you pass your home study! congrats

Jason and Danielle said...

That is awesome Cali...I think you will be a great foster parent!! Love you and hope you are doing well.

Norris Fam said...

Wow...very cool! Good luck with everything!