Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Traditions

I love Christmas time! I grew up with a lot of traditions- most of them we still do in our family. It is fun to grow older and have more appreciation for traditions and to be able to start a few of our own. I am excited for the future when I can have these traditions be a part of my childrens lives.

Christmas eve at Nana and Papa's- This tradition has been in place for as long as I remember. We all go over there to be with our cousins, aunts, uncles and Nana and Papa. This year will be a bit different without Nana. And Papa is out in California for the holidays so we wont have either one of them. Growing up, Nana and the girls would cook all week in preparation Christmas Eve. Nana made her homemade wassail and we put plates of goodies together to take to the families we went caroling to. There is always a bit of singing around the piano as well.

Caroling on Christmas Eve- This is a tradition that I hope we never stop. Each family chooses two other families to go caroling to on Christmas Eve. We have about 3 families that we have gone to every year since I can remember. They love it! And since out family is so musically talented- why not share it with others.

Hide from Santa- After the family get together and caroling, we go back home to my Mom's house to get ready for Santa to come. My family has always done Christmas on Christmas Eve. I think it started because my parents divorced when i was young and this way- we never missed either Christmas.
We read stories about Christmas and then open our stockings- (we draw names and stuff each others stockings). Soon, we hear bells outside of my house. The kids all run to the bathroom and shut the door while Santa unloads all the presents. We listen to Santa talk about how good we had all been and how tired he was from flying around the world. When he is gone- we run back out to see what he left us! Then we one by one open our gifts which usually lasts late into the night.

Now that I am married, Brett and I go to the Smith party on Christmas Eve for a short time. They have some wonderful traditions also. They do a dinner and the kids do a nativity scene and a talent show. We like to try to be there as long before we leave to catch the caroling with my family. Christmas Day is always spent over at the Smith's house.

Traditions are a wonderful thing and I am very grateful for them and for all the memories I have had through my life at Christmas time.



1 comment:

Matias and Misti said...

I love having traditions! Sounds like you guys have a lot of fun during the holidays! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!