Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Girls are Ours !!!!

Yesterday was by far, the longest day of my life. We left the house at 8 to get to the courthouse for me to be briefed by the state attorney. The trial started at 9- I had to wait to testify till around 10:30. I did so well. I am a very emotional person when talking about things I am passionate about and people that I love so I was very nervous that I would not be able to control my emotions. I had Brett give me a blessing the night before and I had my wonderful family praying for me to be able to stay composed and get through it. I was up there for about 25 mins. They asked me a lot of things. They asked me if we loved them and if they were considered a part of my family (this is the point where I would have lost it.) Of course we love them. I love these girls more than anything. They are my world now and have been for a long time.  I talked about their progress and how they have adapted to being with us.

There were 9 witnesses in all and after 6 hours at the courthouse and and hour waiting for the judge to come back after his deliberation, we were called back in for the most nerve racking 20 mins of my entire life. He read off all the points of the case and determined the states arguments in all points were true. But he wasn't getting to the point fast enough. My heart has never, never, never pounded so hard. It was pounding through my entire body and I felt like I might have a heart attack or pass out any second. Brett's hand was being squeezed so hard, I'm sure it hurt, but he let me. :)

Finally, the judge got to the end, he read off several more points and at the end of each of those he stated that the point justifiable for termination of rights. He went on for about 5 more mins and then he said-

"This court has found that due to this evidence, that both parents have not make significant effort and therefore merits that I terminate parental rights permanently and completely. That is the ruling of this court. "

At that moment, my heart broke for those people. They had made mistakes that forever effected them and took away all 4 of their kids. It was a horrible moment to see them break down and sob because of their loss. At that same moment, I wanted to cry tears of happiness and joy. I waited until the parents were excused, and then, relief filled my heart and tears filled my eyes because I knew this fight was finally over and that our family would officially become permanent. The moment that I had been waiting 10 months for had come.

The attorneys and case workers walked us out. The parents were sitting in the hall. They were very angry and put some of that anger on me which also broke my heart. I had absolutely nothing to do with this. The ball had always been in their court- they had the opportunity and every recourse  for a very different outcome. They just chose not to take full advantage of it. I hate that they feel like I took them from them in even some small way.

Anavy, Khloe and Savannah will become legally ours sometime around September. We will be giving them middle names and they will be Smiths! The adoption process is long but the hard part is over. We can't wait to take them to the temple and have them sealed to us forever. What a great day that will be.








.

4 comments:

Vogelsberg said...

I loved reading this. I am so happy and excited for u and those girls. Congrats.

Mandi and Adam said...

Thanks for sharing the full story of the trial! Brett did a pretty good job telling me, but he left all the emotion out of it. :) We love you guys and really are so happy that those girls are part of our family! You guys are incredible parents and exactly what the girls need!

Alisha said...

Best thing I've read in a LONG while!! Congrats to the "new" parents! You guys are the best thing to ever happen to those girls I'm sure of that! Good luck with the rest of the process, so very happy for you all!

Gramma said...

Grampa and I can't think of a more deserving couple than you ~ and a more deserving over-all family than yours ~ ours!!! We all love them!!! Nobody could read what you've written, Cali without lots of tears! THANK YOU FOR BEING YOU!!! And THANK YOU, BRET, AND EVERYBODY ELSE FOR ALL YOU'VE DONE FOR THOSE BEAUTIFUL GIRLS!!!