Saturday, June 6, 2009

Broken Hearts

I have to dedicate this entry to my Nana, the most beautiful person I have ever known.
Yesterday morning, my sweet Nana passed way in her sleep. She had a degenerative disease called CBGD (Cordico-Basal Ganglionic Degeneration) which eventually caused the loss of her walking, moving, eating and this last month, her talking. She was in a lot of pain and wanted to go. It is a happy and very hard time for me. I was very close to her. My heart hurts to have to live here without her.


Frances Gee is not just my grandmother; she is also one of my best friends and has been my whole life. As a child, Nana was full of spunk. She was an adventurer and so full of energy in everything she did. Her children and the elder of the grandchildren all got to experience this side of Nana. The younger grandchildren didn’t get to have the same experiences with Nana that I got to have, but I know that they all see the same wonderful, strong woman that I did. Nana was a strong woman. She was loving to everyone and she was brave. She loved the gospel with all of her heart and served the Lord diligently. My dear husband had a very sweet relationship with Nana. I loved to watch it continually get stronger. Nana told me often how much she loved Brett and she sees what a blessing he has been to me.

I can think of no other person that I would rather have as my hero, my role model, my grandmother and my friend. She has taught me some of the most important lessons that I will learn on this earth. I am naturally an optimistic person and I know that it is because of my Nana. She always taught me that there is good in everything and in everybody. I know that having this insight has changed my life and I have been able to overlook or see the positive aspects of my life’s trials. It was hard for me to see her suffer and deteriorate like she did, but she was so strong and pushed through day after day with the hope that tomorrow would be better. We often would have the conversation often about how lucky she is and how great her life has been. It’s amazing to me how she tried to stay so positive. I never would have imagined that our relationship could grow any stronger but sure enough these past 3 years are ones I will remember always. She has become my hero in more ways then ever. To this woman, I love you Nana, with all of my heart, you have changed my life forever.

4 comments:

Jason and Danielle said...

Cali, your grandmother was a wonderful person. One day you will get to see her again and she will be perfect. Love you. Hope you are doing well.

Diane said...

Cali- I am so sorry for your loss. We will be praying for you.

KayLynn said...

Calli and Brett I am so sorry to hear this. Even when death is a release it is hard for those they leave behind. What a great thing to have such a hero!

Vogelsberg said...

Cali i am so sorry to hear of your loss. I Remember hearing you talk about her alot. She is in such a better place, and running and walking. all our love and prayers Brooke and Brian.