Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Merry Christmas!

First of all-- I want to thank all of you who sent us a Christmas card... We love them... They are decorating the back of our front door. I have never been one to send cards of my own... maybe someday when we have kids but we sure do love getting them and all the letters catching us up on our loved ones lives. So Thanks!!

Christmas is here! I love Christmas time and I love the snow. I just hate hate hate driving in it. The snow gives me anxiety when I drive plus my car isn't the best snow car. Other wise I really enjoy the whiteness outside. It has been too cold here to build a snowman. I really wanted to build one today but the snow was too powdery and without moisture. So instead, I made sugar cookies with my sisters-- well they watched.

I let Brett wrap a present today. It was entertaining. He really isn't that good at wrapping-- he just wasn't born with the gift I guess. :)

Christmas for us is a little crazy. Christmas eve we always go over to the Smith party for dinner. We stay for a couple of hours or so and then we take off to go the the Gee party at my Nana and Papa's house. At the Gee house, people will have been baking all day. We prepare plates of cookies and candies for the people that we go caroling to. We normally make it right on time to go caroling with my family which is my favorite part of Christmas. Then we go back to Nana's and do presents from her and from our cousins. After that we usually gather and sing around the piano for a bit and then we head out to do our Sub for Santa families. This year we are doing 3 families. We drop the big box full of presents off and hide where we can see. This is another favorite of Christmas. Then we go back to my moms house. We open our stockings when we get home (we draw names for stockings and my mom gives us each $10 to fill them) Then we read a few Christmas books while we wait for Santa to come. I still have one younger brother that still believes in Santa. When we hear the bells some of us run into another room and some of us stay out to help Santa bring in all the gifts that are conveniently in baskets out on the back porch.
We then open one at a time in a circle all of our gifts. We have done it this way since I was a kid. I love it.
On Christmas morning we go over to Brett's parents house to spend Christmas day with them. We open gifts and then have lunch. Sometimes my family will go to a movie on Christmas day.

This is Brett and my 4th Christmas together. I love having him in my life and I love that he now shares my traditions and I can share those things that are so dear to me with him. I also love that I have gained his family and am grateful for the people they are and that we get to spend this great holiday with them as well. It is so nice to live close enough to do both families the way we want to.

We wish you all a Merry CHristmas! We will miss all of you that are not here with us-- especially Trevor and Elise and thier girls and the West Family. Oh- and a happy new year too!

No comments: